Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Day 1 - Fort Wayne, IN to Onalaska, WI

Well... the day finally arrived for my departure. I guess I just ran out of excuses lol.

The day started around 8:00 a.m. Shower, shave, dress, eat... the usual morning routine. Final packing and loading of the Vette and I was on the road by 11:15 a.m. I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive about the whole trip but once I got going it was OK.

I headed out on Indiana 30 and that took me most of the way through my home state. Jumped onto I80/90 north of Valparaiso, IN and took that through the remainder of Indiana and into Chicago and its suburbs.

I have to say that Chicago is a challenge to get through no matter what the time of day. I hit it around 2:00 p.m. and the ever present traffic didn't disappoint. And then there's the drivers! I guess the 55 mph speed limit really is justifiable. And what would a trip through a major metropolitan are be without construction! Oh... and the tolls! I could go on... lol.

Once into Wisconsin, the situation changed dramatically for the better and the rest of the ride to Onalaska, WI was uneventful. I pulled into the Super 8 close to on-time, right around 7:00 p.m. It was a long first day but now I am fed, wined and relaxing in front of the tube, recharging for day two and onto the eastern most part of South Dakota.

Till the next entry...

No comments: