Saturday, September 13, 2008

Day 5 - Sturgis, SD to Bozeman, MT

This morning dawned sunny and cool. A great day for travelling. Got up and out by 10:00.

Headed onto to I90 West and completed the last of the South Dakota portion of the trip and on into Wyoming. Did a straight run through Wyoming and on into Montana. The weather was a bit iffy along the way... rain, falling temperatures and high winds. This certainly made the trip a bit more interesting! But all in all... not a bad day.

I did notice that a number of mountain ranges had snow... yes... snow... in September... at the higher altitudes. This did raise a concern because at some point, I will have to cross over those mountains to continue my trip to the west coast. I'm hoping that there will be a lower elevation option to make the crossing a little less nerve racking.

I must say that the scenery along the way was incredible. Mountains, valleys, plains... land as far as the eye could see. I've never seen anything on a scale like this before. I only wish there were more areas to stop along the way to capture some of this beauty. Hopefully there will be as I continue my trek.

I pulled into Bozeman late in the afternoon and checked into the Days Inn. Performed the usual unpack and load into room tasks. Checked with the front desk on dining options and opted for the the downtown area. Found a great restaurant, John Bozeman's Bistro. Had an excellent steak au poivre with Gorgonzola potatoes and fresh steamed veggies. It was heaven after dinners of Subway, burger and local pizza . Returned back to the Days Inn and started prep for tomorrow.

I heard enough good things about Yellowstone National Park that I will be spending an extra day here in Bozeman. Luckily I was able to keep the same room.

So, tomorrow will be spent driving down to Yellowstone and exploring its many natural wonders. Lots of picture opportunities I hope!

'Till tomorrow....

No comments: