Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Day 14 - Fife (Seattle, WA) to Longview, WA

I'm slowly getting back on the road again. Progressed from a suburb of Seattle called Fife to Longview, WA. Not a long drive but progress just the same. I didn't do any real exploring per se but I did find some cool local places for food.

The afternoon of my arrival, I decided on an early dinner. Checked with the front desk and they recommended the Country Folks Deli. A very good choice for home cooked meals with a nice atmosphere and friendly service.

Polished off a grilled cheese and a bowl of beer cheese soup. Excellent choices both. Headed back to the room, put my feet up and took it easy for the rest of the evening.

Next day, the plan was to push on into Oregon. Got the car all packed up and headed down to the same area where I found the Country Folks Deli. I had spotted what looked like an old fashioned bakery the day before and decided to check it out for breakfast. The Red Rooster Bakery was like I traveled back in time when there really used to be neighborhood bakeries... not the bakery in a box located in most supermarkets these days... ugh.

All the display cases were glass with wooden frames and everything was on display for your eyes to taste. The young workers were in plain sight, stirring and mixing and kneading and shaping every delight by hand. And the wonderful aromas as they baked... I was in heaven. I walked up to the case and tried to keep my drooling under control. In the end, I selected a huge cranberry scone and a cup of English Breakfast tea. I sat myself facing the street and just enjoyed the scone and the constant stream of people going about their business in a small town called Longview, Washington. I finished my breakfast... paid my bill and I was off for Gresham, OR.

Till the next time...

No comments: