Friday, September 12, 2008

Day 4 - Rapid City, SD to Sturgis, SD
















Today's blog entry will be abbreviated due to issues with connectivity in the hotel at Sturgis.

Made an early start in Rapid City, SD. Left for Mt. Rushmore around 10:30 or so. Nice drive up 16 west... lot's of curves in the road and beautiful scenery. Arrived at the monument by 11:00. Mandatory $10 parking fee... fortunately no entrance fee to the actual facility. I have to say that the Mt. Rushmore monument is quite impressive. According to some of the folks I chatted with, they've added a lot over the years. Took a LOT of pictures with both wide angle and telephoto lenses... can't wait to see how they came out.

Next stop... Crazy Horse Mountain. This is just a short drive from Mt. Rushmore. Another $10 parking fee. You can see the monument almost as soon as you drive in. It's huge... much bigger than Mt. Rushmore In fact, in the orientation video I saw, they mentioned that the Mt. Rushmore monument would fit in side Crazy Horse's head! Anyway, shortly after I arrived they announced that they would be blasting a section of the mountain in three minutes. How lucky was I!! They blew a whistle at the three minute point and then counted down from 10 seconds. I had my camera at the ready with the continuous shot option set. At 1 second I started a sequence of about 20 shots. Then the "boom" hit. What a blast! Toured the rest of the monument area and scored a piece of the rock blasted from the mountain.

Left Crazy Horse and headed off to Sturgis via Rapid City. Not a long ride. Drove through the downtown area where the famous Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is staged. Let's just say it looked like a ghost town compared to what I've seen in pictures and videos. Finally found the Super 8, checked in and called it a day. I won't bore you with the problems I encountered at the hotel but I'll think twice about staying at another Super 8 unless that's the only option.

Until tomorrow....

No comments: