Thursday, September 11, 2008

Day 3 - Chamberlain, SD to Rapid City, SD
















This morning was overcast and there was some light rain overnight so I decided not to rush my departure. Today was planned to be a light driving day with Rapid City only 200 or so miles from Chamberlain. Did the usual morning prep and breakfast at the Super 8 and got on the road about 11:00.










The drive was mostly uneventful... boring even. My original plan was to hit Rapid City and then head out to Mt. Rushmore and then the Crazy Horse monument. Seeing as the overcast skies were casting some really flat light, I didn't think I would get good pictures of the monuments. Saw some billboards and made a command decision to take a detour and see the Bad Lands of South Dakota instead.










There is a 35 mile scenic loop that leaves I90 and then brings you back to the interstate at the town of Wall. Incidentally, Wall is the proud home of Wall Drugs whose billboards I had been reading for about 350 miles! The Bad Lands are something to see. A very unique area of the country. I video taped the entire 35 mile drive and stopped numerous times to capture the surreal landscape with my Canon digital SLR. There were some great stretches of road with tight twisting turns and even a switch back or two. Love those in the Vette. The only limiting factor is the lack of guard rails and some pretty steep drop-offs. I guess they do that on purpose... makes you think!










Got back on I90 west and arrived in Rapid City fairly early in the afternoon. Checked in... played pack mule and then headed to the front desk for dinner ideas. The suggestion provided was the Colonial Inn right across the street from the hotel. Excellent choice... great buffalo burger and fries washed down with a Boddington's. Back to the hotel and some much appreciated downtime.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Feel good......

David B Katague said...

Mt Rushmore is one of the places, I like to visit someday. Have a good day!